Microsoft Word: Styles, Templates and Tables of Contents
Microsoft Word Training Series | Level 2
Duration: 1 day (9 am – 4 pm)
Microsoft® Word® Versions: 2013 | 2016 | 2019 | 365 (Windows)
Delivery Methods: Instructor-led classroom (ILC) | Instructor-led Virtual classroom (ILVC)
Course Dates: March 5, 2021 (Virtual classroom) | View schedule
Course Fee: $225 CDN per person + HST (Virtual classroom), $245 CDN per person + HST (Bring your own device) or $295 CDN per person + HST (Avantix Learning provides device)*
Alternate Course(s): This course is equivalent to day 2 of the Microsoft Word: Intermediate / Advanced course.
Custom training: This course may be delivered at your site or ours as an instructor-led or virtual classroom solution. Contact us at email@example.com for more information including savings for custom group training.
Note: Public scheduled courses are delivered as live instructor-led classroom training or virtual classroom training (as indicated). Bring your own device rates apply to live classroom courses.
During this hands-on course, students will work with some of Word’s more advanced features – styles, templates and tables of contents. Styles will be created to automate formatting and then tables of contents will be generated with page numbers and hyperlinks. Students will modify styles and tables of contents and then update documents to reflect the changes. Templates will be created to include frequently used styles and table of contents formats. Throughout this course, the instructor will include numerous tips, tricks and shortcuts. Each student will also receive a full course manual.
Prerequisite: Microsoft Word: Introduction or equivalent knowledge and skills.
Note: This course is an alternative to the Microsoft Word: Intermediate / Advanced course which includes other important tools including Quick Parts, tables, newspaper-style columns and mail merge.
Location and timing: Public scheduled courses are held online in virtual classroom format or in downtown Toronto and run from 9:00 am to 4:00 pm (Eastern Time).
Related training: View all Microsoft Word courses >
INCLUDED IN THIS COURSE
- Comprehensive course manual
- Keyboard shortcuts quick reference
- Sample and exercise files
- Refreshments (for classes conducted in Avantix Learning classrooms)
- Certificate of completion
- Follow-up email support
Automating Formatting Using Styles
- Understanding the different types of styles
- Applying styles to paragraphs
- Applying styles to only to text
- Using heading styles
- Viewing the Styles task pane
- Displaying all styles
- Modifying styles
- Saving styles
- Creating and applying new styles
Copying or Importing Styles
- Copying styles between two documents
- Copying modified styles to the Normal template
Creating, Applying and Editing Table Styles
- Applying built-in table styles
- Creating a new table style
- Applying new table styles to multiple tables
- Modifying table styles
- Combining paragraph styles and table styles
Generating Tables of Contents
- Overview of tables of contents
- Picking up paragraphs using specific styles in tables of contents
- Generating a table of contents
- Updating tables of contents
- Formatting tables of contents
Controlling Pagination in Sections and Tables of Contents
- Setting up page numbering in headers and/or footers
- Page breaks compared to section breaks
- Restarting numbering in specific areas of a document
- Using multiple sections in a document with a table of contents
- Changing page number formatting on a table of contents page
- Removing page numbering completely in specific sections
Inserting and Managing Hyperlinks
- Inserting a hyperlink
- Jumping to a hyperlink
- Editing a hyperlink
- Hyperlinking to a bookmark
Assigning Custom Keyboard Shortcuts
- Assigning custom keyboard shortcuts to common Word commands
- Recommendations for keyboard shortcut combinations
- Overview of templates
- Using the Normal template
- Setting the path for custom user templates
- Creating a new template
- Saving a new template
- Creating a new document based on a template
Register Now for a public course at our downtown Toronto location at 1 Yonge Street, Suite 1801 (Toronto Star Building), Toronto, Ontario, Canada.
Do you need more information? Contact us!
If you’re looking for more information regarding versions, check out our Microsoft Word versions overview.
To request this page in an alternate format, contact our staff.
*Prices subject to change.
Copyright 2021 Avantix® Learning
You may like
You can create labels in Microsoft Word by running a mail merge. This is typically used to generate and print bulk mailing labels for names and addresses of clients or other contacts. You’ll need to create a main document for the labels in Word and then connect to a data set or list in an Excel worksheet.
You can change the format of a date field in a Microsoft Word mail merge document using switches in field codes. Date fields can be formatted using switches. A date switch is a field code that changes the format of a date field.
You can show or hide paragraph marks and other formatting symbols (such as tabs, spaces and soft returns) in your Microsoft Word documents using the Ribbon or a keyboard shortcut.
You may also like
You can compress video (and / or audio) media in a PowerPoint presentation to reduce file size. Since video and audio that is inserted into a PowerPoint file is embedded by default, video and audio media can increase file size significantly.
You can quickly fill blank cells in a range of data in Excel with dashes, zeros or other number or text values. Blank cells can be problematic if you want to use a data set as the source for a pivot table.
You can insert several types of countdown timers in PowerPoint presentations. In this article, we’ll review the steps to create 3 types of timers in PowerPoint using shapes and animations.
Microsoft, the Microsoft logo, Microsoft Office and related Microsoft applications and logos are registered trademarks of Microsoft Corporation in Canada, US and other countries. All other trademarks are the property of the registered owners.
Avantix Learning | 1 Yonge Street, Suite 1801 (Toronto Star Building), Toronto, Ontario, Canada M5E 1W7 | firstname.lastname@example.org