Microsoft Word: Long Documents Masterclass
Microsoft Word Training Series | Level 3
Duration: 1 day (9 am – 4 pm)
Microsoft® Word® Versions: 2013 | 2016 | 2019 | 365 (Windows)
Delivery Methods: Instructor-led classroom (ILC) | Instructor-led Virtual classroom (ILVC)
Course Dates: May 27, 2021 (Virtual classroom) | View schedule
Course Fee: $245 CDN per person + HST (Virtual classroom), $275 CDN per person + HST (Bring your own device for live classroom courses) or $325 CDN per person + HST (Avantix Learning provides device for live classroom courses)*
Timing: Public scheduled courses run from 9:00 am to 4:00 pm (Eastern Time).
Virtual classroom courses: Our instructor-led virtual classroom courses are delivered in a virtual classroom environment. Students will be sent a virtual classroom invitation prior to the course.
Live classroom courses: Our instructor-led live classroom (in-person) courses are held in downtown Toronto at the Toronto Star Building, 1 Yonge Street, Suite 1801. Some courses are also held at an alternate downtown Toronto location.
Custom training: This course may be delivered at your site or ours as an instructor-led or virtual classroom solution. Contact us at email@example.com for more information including savings for custom group training.
This hands-on course is designed for users who want to learn the tools and techniques for working with long documents. Students will learn to use content controls, advanced styles, advanced tables of contents, cross-references, captions, footnotes, endnotes and indexes n longer documents. PDF (portable document format) files will be converted to Word format. Powerful editing features such as track changes and comparing documents will also be reviewed. In order to automate repetitive tasks, macros will be recorded and played. Throughout this course, the instructor will include numerous tips, tricks and shortcuts.
Prerequisite: Microsoft Word Intermediate / Advanced or Microsoft Word: Styles, Templates and Tables of Contents or equivalent knowledge and skills.
Location and timing: Public scheduled courses are held online in virtual classroom format or in downtown Toronto and run from 9:00 am to 4:00 pm (Eastern Time).
Related training: View all Microsoft Word courses >
INCLUDED IN THIS COURSE
- Comprehensive course manual
- Keyboard shortcuts quick reference
- Sample and exercise files
- Refreshments (for classes conducted in Avantix Learning classrooms)
- Certificate of completion
- Follow-up email support
Using Advanced Style Techniques
- Finding and replacing styles
- Using style separators to include snippets in a table of contents
- Adding keyboard shortcuts to styles
- Protecting documents so users can apply only specified styles
- Displaying the styles and direct formatting applied to a selection
Creating Advanced Tables of Contents
- Generating tables of contents from styles in Microsoft Word
- Viewing tables of contents field codes
- Editing tables of contents field codes to remove numbering for different levels
- Manually marking entries for a table of contents
- Creating multiple tables of contents in the same document
Inserting and Formatting Content Controls
- Understanding content controls
- Identifying the parts of a content control
- Using different types of content controls
- Issues with content controls
- Using content controls in templates
Adding Captions to Images and Tables
- Adding captions to figures and tables
- Editing and formatting captions
- Generating lists of figures and tables
Inserting Excel Data into Word
- Inserting linked or unlinked Excel worksheet data in Word documents
- Updating links
- Breaking links
- Inserting, editing and removing hyperlinks
- Formatting hyperlinks
- Hyperlinking to a bookmark
Inserting and Managing Cross-References
- Adding a cross-reference to text that appears in another location in a document
- Updating cross-references
- Using bookmark fields with cross-references
Inserting and Editing Footnotes and Endnotes
- Inserting and editing footnotes and endnotes
- Changing numbering
- Converting footnotes and endnotes
Creating an Index
- Marking text for an index
- Generating an index
Editing PDFs in Word
- Converting PDF (portable document format) files into Word natively
- Conversion issues
Creating Newspaper-style Columns
- Creating a newspaper-style column document
- Adding titles across the top of a newspaper-style document
- Adding column breaks and continuous breaks
- Locking documents so that users can edit specific areas
- Restricting formatting and editing
- Making Microsoft Word documents read only
- Password protecting Word documents
- Removing personal information and other metadata
Automating Tasks with Macros
- Automating frequent tasks using basic macros
- Reviewing Trust Centre settings for security
- Recording a macro using the macro recorder
- Using different strategies to run a macro
- Saving files with macros
*Prices subject to change.
Our instructor-led courses are delivered in virtual classroom format or at our downtown Toronto location at 1 Yonge Street, Suite 1801 (Toronto Star Building), Toronto, Ontario, Canada (some live classroom courses may also be delivered at an alternate downtown Toronto location). Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you'd like to arrange custom training on a date that's convenient for you.
Copyright 2021 Avantix® Learning
You may like
You can enter Greek letters or symbols (such as Gamma, Omega, Pi, Sigma or Theta) in Microsoft Word documents in several ways. In this article, we’ll look at different ways to insert Greek symbols.
In Microsoft Word 2010 and later versions, you can have word speak or read a document aloud to you. You will need to add the Speak command to your Quick Access Toolbar or the Ribbon to use this feature. Once you’ve added the command, simply click Speak and Word will read the selected text aloud.
You can insert formulas in Word tables to perform basic calculations. These formulas can include functions such as SUM or AVERAGE or basic operators. When you insert formulas in Word tables, you are really inserting fields so the fields will need to be updated if the data in the table changes. For more complex calculations, it’s usually best to create formulas in Excel where they will update automatically.
You can stop Word from changing formatting automatically in your documents by turning off AutoFormat As You Type settings in the AutoCorrect dialog box. If text or formatting is changing, there are several options you can turn off.
You may also like
If you have inserted a video on a PowerPoint slide, you can display a custom thumbnail (or Poster Frame) for the video during a slide show. The thumbnail will display when you run a PowerPoint slide show and disappears when you start the video. For most videos, the thumbnail that displays is the first frame of the video clip. You can use the Poster Frame command to display a different frame in the video clip or a picture from another source as a thumbnail. A picture thumbnail could be either an image or an icon.
During a PowerPoint slide show, you can change your mouse into a laser pointer to focus attention on a specific area on your slide. You can show or hide the built-in laser pointer using keyboard shortcuts or by using the context menu.
You can add audio in PowerPoint from a file on your PC or from a shared drive. Audio is played during a slide show and you can insert music, sound clips, or voice recordings. Since audio files are copied into PowerPoint presentations by default, they can increase file size and may need to be compressed. To play audio, your computer must be equipped with a sound card and speakers.
Microsoft, the Microsoft logo, Microsoft Office and related Microsoft applications and logos are registered trademarks of Microsoft Corporation in Canada, US and other countries. All other trademarks are the property of the registered owners.
Avantix Learning | 1 Yonge Street, Suite 1801 (Toronto Star Building), Toronto, Ontario, Canada M5E 1W7 | email@example.com