Microsoft Word: Styles, Templates and Tables of Contents
Microsoft Word Training Series | Level 2
Duration: 1 day
Microsoft® Word® Versions: 2010 | 2013 | 2016 | 2019 | 365 (Windows)
Delivery Methods: Instructor-led classroom (ILC) | Instructor-led Virtual classroom (ILVC)
Course Dates: September 11, 2020 (Instructor-led virtual classroom) | View schedule
Course Fee: $225 CDN per person + HST (virtual classroom), $245 CDN per person + HST (bring your own device) or $295 CDN per person + HST (Avantix Learning provides device)*
Custom training: This course may be delivered at your site or ours as an instructor-led or virtual classroom solution. Contact us at email@example.com for more information including savings for custom group training.
Note: Public scheduled courses are delivered as live instructor-led classroom training or virtual classroom training (as indicated). Bring your own device rates apply to live classroom courses.
During this hands-on course, students will work with some of Word’s more advanced features – styles, templates and tables of contents. Styles will be created to automate formatting and then tables of contents will be generated with page numbers and hyperlinks. Students will modify styles and tables of contents and then update documents to reflect the changes. Templates will be created to include frequently used styles and table of contents formats. Throughout this course, the instructor will include numerous tips, tricks and shortcuts. Each student will also receive a full course manual.
Prerequisite: Microsoft Word: Introduction or equivalent knowledge and skills.
Note: This course is an alternative to the Microsoft Word: Intermediate / Advanced course which includes other important tools including Quick Parts, tables, newspaper-style columns and mail merge.
Related training: View all Microsoft Word courses >
INCLUDED IN THIS COURSE
- Comprehensive course manual
- Keyboard shortcuts quick reference
- Sample and exercise files
- Refreshments (for classes conducted in Avantix Learning classrooms)
- Certificate of completion
- Follow-up email support
Automating Formatting Using Styles
- Understanding the different types of styles
- Applying styles to paragraphs
- Applying styles to only to text
- Using heading styles
- Viewing the Styles task pane
- Displaying all styles
- Modifying styles
- Saving styles
- Creating and applying new styles
Copying or Importing Styles
- Copying styles between two documents
- Copying modified styles to the Normal template
Creating, Applying and Editing Table Styles
- Applying built-in table styles
- Creating a new table style
- Applying new table styles to multiple tables
- Modifying table styles
- Combining paragraph styles and table styles
Generating Tables of Contents
- Overview of tables of contents
- Picking up paragraphs using specific styles in tables of contents
- Generating a table of contents
- Updating tables of contents
- Formatting tables of contents
Controlling Pagination in Sections and Tables of Contents
- Setting up page numbering in headers and/or footers
- Page breaks compared to section breaks
- Restarting numbering in specific areas of a document
- Using multiple sections in a document with a table of contents
- Changing page number formatting on a table of contents page
- Removing page numbering completely in specific sections
Inserting and Managing Hyperlinks
- Inserting a hyperlink
- Jumping to a hyperlink
- Editing a hyperlink
- Hyperlinking to a bookmark
Assigning Custom Keyboard Shortcuts
- Assigning custom keyboard shortcuts to common Word commands
- Recommendations for keyboard shortcut combinations
- Overview of templates
- Using the Normal template
- Setting the path for custom user templates
- Creating a new template
- Saving a new template
- Creating a new document based on a template
Register Now for a public course at our downtown Toronto location at 1 Yonge Street, Suite 1801 (Toronto Star Building), Toronto, Ontario, Canada.
Do you need more information? Contact us!
If you’re looking for more information regarding versions, check out our Microsoft Word versions overview.
To request this page in an alternate format, contact our staff.
*Prices subject to change.
Copyright 2020 Avantix® Learning Inc.
You may like
In Microsoft Word, you can save lots of time if you can quickly select characters, words, lines, paragraphs and blocks of text in your documents. You can use keyboard shortcuts or mouse shortcuts to select text.
You can create, save, use and edit templates in Microsoft Word for frequently-used documents such as letters, reports, proposals and manuals. Templates include basic character, paragraph and page formatting and may include text, custom styles, tables, images, macros, sections, headers and footers.
You can insert the copyright, trademark or registered trademark symbol in a Microsoft Word document using the Insert Symbol command or by using keyboard shortcuts.
If you want to break, update or change links to Excel charts or worksheets in Microsoft Word, you’ll need to use the Edit Links to Files command. Unfortunately, this command is difficult to find. To make it easier to access, you can add Edit Links to Files to the Quick Access Toolbar.
You may also like
You can import or convert a PowerPoint presentation in PPTX format to Google Slides format in several ways. Google Slides will try to convert a PowerPoint presentation to compatible objects, tools and fonts but these programs do have differences so don’t expect a perfect conversion.
You can change the formatting of a table border or the borders of multiple table cells in PowerPoint by changing the line style, thickness (weight) or color. Different borders can be applied to cells in the same table. For example, you could apply a thick line to header cells and a thin line to the cells in the last row of a table.
A pivot table can be deleted in an Excel workbook in several ways. You can delete a pivot table, convert a pivot table to values or clear data and customizations from a pivot table to reset it. When a pivot table is created from source data in a workbook,
Microsoft, the Microsoft logo, Microsoft Office and related Microsoft applications and logos are registered trademarks of Microsoft Corporation in Canada, US and other countries. All other trademarks are the property of the registered owners.
Avantix Learning | 1 Yonge Street, Suite 1801 (Toronto Star Building), Toronto, Ontario, Canada M5E 1W7 | firstname.lastname@example.org