Microsoft Excel: Core Functions (Part 2)
Microsoft Excel Training Series | Level 3
Duration: 1/2 day (3 hours)
Microsoft® Excel® Versions: 2013 | 2016 | 2019 | 2021 | 365 (Windows)
Delivery Methods (Instructor-led): In-person (Live classroom) | Virtual classroom
Course Fee: Contact us for custom training rates
Timing: 9 am – 12 pm or 1 pm – 4 pm
Virtual classroom courses: Our instructor-led virtual classroom courses are delivered in a virtual classroom environment. Students will be sent a virtual classroom invitation prior to the course.
In-person classroom courses: Our instructor-led, live classroom (in-person) courses may be arranged at your location or ours.
Custom training: This course may be delivered at your site or ours as an instructor-led virtual classroom or in-person solution. Contact us at email@example.com for more information including savings for custom group training.
This hands-on Microsoft Excel course is designed for the user who wants to learn to use more advanced Excel features and functions including text functions, date functions, time functions, INDEX / MATCH functions, logical functions such as AND / OR, and IS functions. Students will also use some of these functions in conditional formatting. During this hands-on course, students will practice their skills and have the opportunity to ask questions and interact with the instructor. Each student will also receive a full course manual with tips, tricks and shortcuts as well as sample and exercise files.
Prerequisite: Microsoft Excel: Core Functions (Part 1) or equivalent knowledge and skills.
Related training: View all Microsoft Excel courses >
INCLUDED IN THIS COURSE
- Comprehensive course manual or published book
- Keyboard shortcuts quick reference
- Sample and exercise files
- Refreshments (for classes conducted in Avantix Learning classrooms)
- Certificate of completion
- Follow-up email support
Combining, Separating and Formatting Text Strings
- Using text functions to manipulate text strings (8+ text functions)
- Extracting text strings from from the left, middle or right of cells
- Finding and replacing text using functions
- Joining strings of text from two or more cells
- Separating data into multiple columns using text functions
- Changing case using text functions
- Removing extra characters from data
Performing Date Calculations
- Understanding how Excel interprets dates
- Entering valid dates in Excel
- Converting invalid dates into valid dates
- Using date functions to manipulate dates (10+ date functions)
- Extracting date increments from cells such as year, month and day
- Calculating the number of days or working days between two dates
- Calculating the date a specific number of working days from a date
- Finding the last day in the current month or a future month
- Creating calculations for fiscal months and quarters
- Using conditional formatting to highlight data within specific date periods
Performing Time Calculations
- Entering valid times in Excel
- Understanding how Excel interprets times
- Calculating the difference between times
- Working with hours and minutes
Using INDEX and MATCH vs VLOOKUP
- Combining INDEX and MATCH functions as an alternative to VLOOKUP
- Benefits of INDEX and MATCH
- Using the CHOOSE function vs VLOOKUP
Using AND, OR and IS Functions
- Using AND and OR functions in expressions and conditional formatting
- Using IS functions to test for cell values
*Prices subject to change
Our instructor-led courses are delivered in virtual classroom format or at our downtown Toronto location at 18 King Street East, Suite 1400, Toronto, Ontario, Canada (some in-person classroom courses may also be delivered at an alternate downtown Toronto location). Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you'd like to arrange custom instructor-led virtual classroom or onsite training on a date that's convenient for you.
Copyright 2023 Avantix® Learning
Register now for a public scheduled course or contact us at email@example.com for more information about any of our courses or to discuss custom training options (virtual classroom or live classroom).
You may like
In Microsoft Excel, errors are flagged with small green marker or triangle in the upper left corner of the cell. However, these indicators display when there may be an error but is, in fact, not an error.
There are several mouse and keyboard shortcuts you can use to zoom in and out in Excel worksheets. Some of these shortcuts are built-in and others can be created by customizing Excel Options.
You can use Flash Fill in Excel to extract, combine, clean or format data quickly without using formulas. In order to use Flash Fill, Excel must be able to understand a pattern in a column to the left of the column where you want to fill the data so the source data should be entered in a consistent way. You can use Flash Fill by clicking a button, using shortcuts or by using the Fill handle. You run Flash Fill by entering an example of the data you want to fill using a "by example" logic.
You may also like
You can quickly insert multiple columns in Excel using a drop-down menu, keyboard shortcuts or the Home tab in the Ribbon. The key to inserting multiple columns at once, rather than one by one, is to select the number of columns you want to insert first and then insert columns. Excel will insert the same number of columns you selected.
It's easy to lock and protect cells in Microsoft Excel to prevent users from changing data or formulas. This involves a two-step process …
You can password protect worksheets and workbooks in Excel. If you want to prevent other users from opening or modifying an Excel workbook, you can encrypt the file with a password. You can also protect workbook structure where you can prevent users from deleting, renaming, moving or unhiding worksheets. Password protection can be added to your Excel file in several ways.
Microsoft, the Microsoft logo, Microsoft Office and related Microsoft applications and logos are registered trademarks of Microsoft Corporation in Canada, US and other countries. All other trademarks are the property of the registered owners.
Avantix Learning |18 King Street East, Suite 1400, Toronto, Ontario, Canada M5C 1C4 | Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org