Microsoft Word: eBook Design, Publishing and Distribution
Microsoft Word Training Series | Level 3
Duration: 2 days
Microsoft® Word® Versions: 2007 | 2010 | 2013 | 2016 | 365
Delivery Methods: Instructor-led classroom (ILC) | Virtual classroom (VC) on request
Course Dates: TBA | View schedule
Course Fee: $595 CDN per person + HST or BYOD (bring your own device): $545 CDN person + HST*
Note: Public scheduled dates for this course are delivered as live instructor-led classroom training.
The world of eBooks (electronic books) is exploding with millions of eBooks being published and distributed worldwide every year. Learn to design documents in Microsoft Word and then create eBooks in different formats including PDF, EPUB, AZW and MOBI for distribution on eReaders, mobile phones, laptops, tablets or desktop computers. In this hands-on course, you will learn best practices to create eBooks for publication and distribution. Throughout the course, the instructor will include numerous tips, tricks and shortcuts.
Prerequisite: Microsoft Word Intermediate / Advanced or Microsoft Word: Styles, Templates and Tables of Contents or equivalent knowledge and skills.
Custom training: This course may be delivered at your site or ours as an instructor-led or virtual classroom solution. Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information including savings for custom group training.
Related training: View all Microsoft Word courses
INCLUDED IN THIS COURSE
- Comprehensive course manual
- Keyboard shortcuts quick reference
- Sample and exercise files
- Refreshments (for classes conducted in Avantix Learning classrooms)
- Follow-up email support
- Definition of an eBook
- Different formats including PDF (portable document format), EPUB (electronic publication), MOBI and AZW (format used by Amazon’s Kindle)
- Workflow from Microsoft Word to eBook
- EPUB versions
- Standard components of an eBook
Choosing Fonts, Sizes and Colours
- Recommended fonts and sizes for body text
- Recommendations regarding colour
Preparing the Microsoft Word File
- Document settings and metadata
- Specifying a language
- Recommended page size and margins
- Formatting the document appropriately using different types of styles
- Removing problem formatting
- Recommended line spacing
- What to exclude in the Word file
- Creating a table of contents for navigation
- Issues with tables of contents
- Including chapter breaks and numbering
- Separating chapters, sections and paragraphs appropriately
- Issues with hyperlinks
Working with Images
- Overview of working with graphics
- Anchoring images as in-line
- Adding alternative text for accessibility
- Converting vector graphics
- Issues with colour
Generating EPUB documents
- Review of EPUB formats
- Features of EPUB version 2 and 3
- What to include in the Word file
- Proofing an EPUB file
- Overview of HTML in EPUB documents
- Overview of CSS in EPUB documents
Exporting from Word
- Final steps before saving the Word file
- Exporting for use in EPUB or MOBI by saving as HTML
- Installing and using a third party program to edit the EPUB document
- Previewing EPUBs
- Specifying book numbering
- Adding files in an EPUB editor or management system
- Including key components in an EPUB document
- Creating and editing tables of contents
- Adding chapter and page breaks
- Including formatting specifications for other eReaders such as Kindle and Apple
- Building in accessibility features
- Ereaders that support EPUB formats
- Obtaining an ISBN (International Standard Book Number)
Converting Word to PDF
- Saving a document as a PDF (Portable Document Format) natively
- Specifying options during the saving/export process
- Ensuring the final output includes tags
Programs for Editing PDF files
- Review of low-cost programs for editing PDF files as an alternative to Adobe Acrobat Pro
Editing the PDF file in Acrobat Pro and Other PDF Editing Programs
- Viewing tags
- Checking reading order
- Adding and editing tags
- Specifying the document language
- Editing reading order
- Adding alternate text to graphic elements
- Running the “Full Check” feature
Register Now for a public course at our downtown Toronto location at 1 Yonge Street, Suite 1801 (Toronto Star Building), Toronto, Ontario, Canada.
Do you need more information? Contact us!
Copyright 2017 Avantix Learning Inc.
To request this page in an alternate format, contact our staff.
*Prices subject to change.
You may like
In Microsoft Word, images can be extracted one by one or you can extract all images by converting a Word document to a zip file or saving it as a web page. Extracting all images is helpful if you’d like to find pictures that are inflated in size.
In Microsoft Word, you can save lots of time if you can move around quickly in your documents. You can use keyboard shortcuts to jump to the beginning or end of your document and move up or down by page or paragraph.
You can update Microsoft Word fields manually or automatically. For fields you update manually, you can update just one field or update all the fields in your document at once.
You can create a table of contents in Microsoft Word easily using heading styles. After you apply styles, you can then generate a table of contents, change the formatting and update it at any time.
You may also like
You can space objects an equal distance apart in a couple of ways in PowerPoint. These objects may be shapes, images, placeholders or text boxes. If the objects are not consistent in size, it’s problematic to try to space them evenly apart.
In PowerPoint, you can change the background of individual slides, selected slides based on a layout, or all slides based on a slide master. Slide backgrounds can be changed to a color, gradient, texture or picture.
You can easily add links or hyperlinks in PowerPoint presentations to add interactivity and make it easy for users to click a button or link to jump to another slide in your deck, to another presentation, to an Excel file or to a web site.
Microsoft, the Microsoft logo, Microsoft Office and related Microsoft applications and logos are registered trademarks of Microsoft Corporation in Canada, US and other countries. All other trademarks are the property of the registered owners.
Avantix Learning | 1 Yonge Street, Suite 1801 (Toronto Star Building), Toronto, Ontario, Canada M5E 1W7 | email@example.com