FileMaker Pro: Intermediate
FileMaker Pro Training Series | Level 2
Duration: 2 days
Software Versions: 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 (other versions on request)
Delivery Methods: Instructor-led classroom (ILC) | Virtual classroom (VC) on request
Course Dates: December 27/28, 2018 | View schedule
Course Fee: $595 CDN per person + HST or BYOD (bring your own device): $545 CDN person + HST*
Note: Public scheduled dates for this course are delivered as live instructor-led classroom training.
During this course, users will move to the next level and use some of the more advanced features in FileMaker Pro. Students will learn to control data entry using validations and by auto-entering data in text, number and date fields. FileMaker’s calculation capabilities will be explored through the creation of calculation fields using various useful functions including IF, Trim, and date functions. Students will create advanced reports using summary fields and parts and will group records in reports. Relationships will be created between fields in multiple tables to allow the display of information from related tables in layouts and by using portals. More advanced controls will be added on layouts including tabs, popovers and button bars. Students will learn to secure a database and to automate tasks using buttons and simple scripts. Throughout this course, the instructor will include numerous tips, tricks and shortcuts and each student will receive a full course manual.
Prerequisite: FileMaker Pro: Introduction or equivalent knowledge and skills.
Custom training: This course may be delivered at your site or ours as an instructor-led or virtual classroom solution. For more information including savings for custom group training, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or contact us by phone.
Related training: View all FileMaker training courses >
INCLUDED IN THIS COURSE
- Comprehensive course manual
- Sample and exercise files
- Refreshments (for classes conducted in Avantix Learning classrooms)
- Certificate of completion
- Follow-up email support
Entering and Editing Calculations
- Creating calculation fields in FileMaker using operators and functions
- Using the Replace command to replace data with a calculation
- Using the IF or CASE functions in calculations to provide conditional results
- Creating calculations using date and text functions
Managing Data Entry
- Setting up auto-enter options based on a calculation
- Using validation options with calculations
- Replacing field contents with calculated results
- Inserting different parts in a report
- Quickly viewing part information
- Creating report layouts that summarize data at the beginning or end of a report using summary parts
- Grouping data within reports and adding subtotals for each group
- Creating reports that summarize by year and by month using date calculations
- Using FileMaker’s report assistant/wizard
- Previewing reports
Getting Started with FileMaker Automation
- Creating buttons to navigate in FileMaker, add new records and perform other common actions
- Creating simple scripts to automate common tasks
- Running simple scripts using menus, shortcuts or triggers
- Running scripts with buttons
- Using key fields to set up relationships between tables
- Understanding the importance of data types
- Specifying a primary key
- Using table occurrences to create relationships
Working with Related Fields on Layouts
- Placing fields from related tables in a layout
- Using FileMaker’s portals to display multiple related records from a related table
- Adding a button in a portal to go to a related record
- Creating a lookup from another table to enter static data
Adding Other Types of Layout Objects
- Adding tab controls to organize fields
- Creating popover buttons
- Adding button bars
Formatting Layouts with Themes and Styles
- Overview of using themes and styles
- Applying themes
- Applying, modifying and saving styles
- Saving new themes
- Managing layouts in file folders and creating sub-menus
- Hiding layouts
Managing Security Settings
- Overview of security settings
- Setting up an administrator account
- Setting up groups
- Adding users
- Managing different levels of security
- Extracting user information and entering it into a field
- Extracting summary information using formulas
Register Now for a public course at our downtown Toronto location at 1 Yonge Street, Suite 1801 (Toronto Star Building), Toronto, Ontario, Canada.
If you need more information or would like to arrange custom training, contact us.
To request this page in an alternate format, contact our staff.
*Prices subject to change.
Copyright 2018 Avantix Learning Inc.
Copyright 2021 Avantix® Learning
You may like
You can apply strikethrough to text or values in Excel to cross out or create a line through a cell or part of a cell. There are 3 common ways to apply strikethrough in your Excel worksheets – using a built-in keyboard shortcut, using the Font dialog box, or by adding a command to the Quick Access Toolbar.
PowerPoint Designer displays a Design Ideas task pane by default in PowerPoint 365 if Intelligent Services has been enabled. However, if you want to turn off the Design Ideas task pane, there are a few ways to disable the Designer feature depending on your needs.
If you want to align text or objects in PowerPoint, you may want to use keyboard shortcuts for alignment. Although there are built-in keyboard shortcuts to align text in placeholders or text boxes, you will need to do some customizing to create simple keyboard shortcuts to align objects.
Slicers are a great tool in Excel to filter tables or pivot tables. You can lock the position of a slicer in an Excel worksheet using a two-step process. First, select the slicer or slicers and Disable resizing and moving in the Format Slicer task pane (and choose other options based on your preferences). Second, protect the sheet using the Review tab in the Ribbon. There are a few important options you’ll need to select to get this to work.
You may also like
You can achieve some interesting effects by cropping an image into a shape in Google Slides. However, if you want to crop an image into a circle, you’ll need to use a few tricks.
If you are working in Gantt Chart view, you can use these keyboard shortcuts to quickly move and select in your task list.
In Microsoft Word, you can save lots of time if you can quickly select characters, words, lines, paragraphs and blocks of text in your documents. You can use keyboard shortcuts or mouse shortcuts to select text.
FileMaker, FileMaker Go and the file folder logo are registered trademarks of FileMaker, Inc. in the U.S. and other countries. Mac and the Mac logo are trademarks of Apple Inc. registered in the U.S. and other countries. Microsoft and Windows are registered trademarks of the Microsoft Group of Companies. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.