Train the Trainer: Essential Skills for Teaching Adults
Business Skills Series | Level 1
Duration: 2 days
Delivery Method: Instructor-led classroom (ILC)
Course Dates: November 4/5, 2019 | View schedule
Course Fee: $595 CDN per person + HST
Note: Public scheduled dates for this course are delivered as live instructor-led classroom training. Computers or laptops are used in this course for the creation of a PowerPoint deck and to access a few online tools. We recommend that students bring a laptop or tablet with them to this course (devices are not provided by Avantix Learning for this training).
In today’s business world, subject matter experts often transition to become trainers with little or no background in training. Our train the trainer course is designed for the novice trainer who needs to develop core competencies to be able to deliver effective instructor-led classroom training sessions for adult learners in a business setting. Students will learn about adult learning principles and review various instructional design models. The instructor will focus on helping the students develop strategies to deliver engaging and meaningful training sessions. Educational technology tools will be explored including social media tools.
Prerequisite: Basic computer skills
Custom training: This course may be delivered at your site or ours as an instructor-led or virtual classroom solution. Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information including savings for custom group training.
INCLUDED IN THIS COURSE
- Comprehensive course manual
- Keyboard shortcuts quick reference
- Sample and exercise files (new samples added frequently)
- Refreshments (for classes conducted in Avantix Learning classrooms)
- Certificate of completion
- Follow-up email support
- Examine the factors involved in successful teaching
- Focus on creating a safe and accountable learning environment
- Identify instructional skills and tactics that can be used in training
- Recognize the importance of considering the participants and their training needs
- Identify different learning styles
- Review adult learning principles
- Identify tools, strategies and models used in instructional design
- Create lesson plans including objectives and evaluate whether these objectives have been met
- Determine what types of training aids may be used and the benefits of each
- Reflect on the role technology is playing in the learning environment
- Include reflective practice as a teacher or facilitator
- Course objectives
- Student and teacher introductions
Adult Learning Principles
- Considerations when teaching adults
- Factors that affect adult learning
- Learning styles
- Instructional design models
- Performing a needs analysis
- Planning a lesson
- Defining objectives
- Choosing delivery methods
- Determining evaluation methods
- Key factors that make a training session successful
- Common characteristics of successful trainers
- Creating a participant’s agreement
- Mental sets
- Teaching using collaborative techniques
- Checking for understanding
- Managing the classroom
- Dealing with difficult students
Engaging and Motivating Adult Learners
- Key student engagement strategies
- Using icebreakers
- Gamification vs gaming
- Thinking on your feet
- Communication skills
- Body language
- Overcoming nervousness
- Using PowerPoint and other presentation tools
- Students in the 21st century
- Advantages of using technology
- Challenges when using technology
- Social networking
- Social learning
- Bring your own device (BYOD) challenges
- Job aids
- Follow-up sessions
- Extra practice
Do you need more information? Contact us!
To request this page in an alternate format, contact our staff.
*Prices subject to change
Copyright 2019 Avantix® Learning Inc.
You may like
You can achieve some interesting effects by cropping images to shapes in PowerPoint. However, if you want to crop an image to a circle, you’ll need to combine cropping options.
If you want to extract all images (or even just one or two) from a Microsoft PowerPoint deck to use in another presentation, there are a couple of ways to extract images …
You can print PowerPoint speaker notes with or without slide thumbnails. Users can control the way notes pages are printed in three ways …
You can add notes or speaker notes in your PowerPoint files using the Notes pane in Normal view. Notes may be viewed by a presenter during a presentation and may be printed as well. When you create your PowerPoint slides, you can add, edit and format notes.
You may also like
You can highlight values in fields or records in Microsoft Access reports using conditional formatting. Certain conditions must be met in order for the formatting to be applied …
You can insert lines in Microsoft Word by drawing lines or by using borders. In this article, we’ll teach your how to insert or delete lines created with paragraph borders.
There are a few ways to keep a Microsoft Word row or table together on one page. The method you use depends on several factors including the size of the table …
Microsoft, the Microsoft logo, Microsoft Office and related Microsoft applications and logos are registered trademarks of Microsoft Corporation in Canada, US and other countries. All other trademarks are the property of the registered owners.
Avantix Learning | 1 Yonge Street, Suite 1801 (Toronto Star Building), Toronto, Ontario, Canada M5E 1W7 | email@example.com