Change PowerPoint’s Measurement System from Metric to Imperial and Vice Versa
by Avantix Learning Team | Updated December 9, 2019
Applies to: Microsoft® PowerPoint® 2007, 2010, 2013, 2016, 2019 and 365 (Windows 10)
When you’re working on your slide decks in PowerPoint, the Ruler and various dialog boxes or task panes (such as picture or object size) display in inches or centimetres (cm). If you want to change your measurement system from inches to centimetres or vice versa, you’ll need to change your control panel settings for your device. Unfortunately, unlike Microsoft Word, you can’t change the measurement system directly in PowerPoint.
Below is the Control Panel in Windows 10:
Changing PowerPoint’s Measurement System in Windows 10
To change PowerPoint’s measurement system in Windows 10:
- Close PowerPoint.
- Click Start on the bottom left, type Control Panel in the search box and press Enter. The Control Panel displays in Windows 10.
- In the Control Panel, click Clock, Language and Region. A dialog box appears.
- Click Region. A dialog box appears.
- Click Additional settings. The Customize Format dialog box appears.
- Under Measurement system, select Metric if you want your measurements in centimetres or U.S. if you want your measurements in inches.
- Click OK twice.
- Start PowerPoint. The Ruler, dialog boxes and task panes will now display measurements in the system you chose.
Below is the Customize Format dialog box in the Control Panel:
Did you find this article helpful? If you would like to receive new articles, join our email list.
Recommended Microsoft Office courses
Avantix Learning instructor-led classroom courses are held in downtown Toronto, Ontario, Canada. Contact us if you’d like to arrange custom training at your site or ours.
To request this page in an alternate format, contact us.
Copyright 2020 Avantix® Learning Inc.
You may also like
You can insert nonbreaking spaces and nonbreaking dashes or hyphens in PowerPoint to keep characters together on one line …
In Microsoft Word, you can save lots of time if you can move around quickly in your documents. You can use keyboard shortcuts to jump to the beginning or end of your document and move up or down by page or paragraph.
You can update Microsoft Word fields manually or automatically. For fields you update manually, you can update just one field or update all the fields in your document at once.
Avantix Learning | 1 Yonge Street, Suite 1801 (Toronto Star Building), Toronto, Ontario, Canada M5E 1W7 | email@example.com