FileMaker Pro: Introduction
FileMaker Pro Training Series | Level 1
Duration: 1 day
Software Versions: 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 (other versions on request)
Delivery Methods: Instructor-led classroom (ILC) | Virtual classroom (VC) on request
Course Dates: May 31, 2019 | View schedule
Course Fee: $245 CDN per person + HST (bring your own device) or $295 CDN per person + HST (Avantix Learning provides device)*
Note: Public scheduled dates for this course are delivered as live instructor-led classroom training.
During this hands-on FileMaker training course, students will work with this powerful relational database program to create and edit FileMaker databases with tables and multiple layouts. Tables will be designed with various types of fields and properties including fields with drop-down menus, lists, radio buttons and check boxes. Various layouts will be created and formatted for entry and reporting. Students will create multiple find requests with different types of criteria to extract data and will also create reports with calculated fields and summary totals. At the end of the day, students will create a simple relationship between two tables. Throughout the course, the instructor will include numerous tips, tricks and shortcuts.
Prerequisite: Basic keyboarding skills and computer skills
Custom training: This course may be delivered at your site or ours as an instructor-led or virtual classroom solution. For more information including savings for custom group training, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or contact us by phone.
INCLUDED IN THIS COURSE
- Comprehensive course manual
- Sample and exercise files
- Refreshments (for classes conducted in Avantix Learning classrooms)
- Certificate of completion
- Follow-up email support
Getting Started with FileMaker
- Components of a database
- FileMaker’s saving behaviour
- Creating and saving a new FileMaker database
- Using the Manage Database dialog vs Field Picker
- Working with FileMaker’s modes or views
Creating Tables and Fields
- Creating tables with different types of fields including text, number and date
- Setting properties or options for fields
- Auto-entering data in specific fields (such as dates)
- Creating simple calculated fields in FileMaker
- Renaming a table
- Adding or changing fields
- Viewing data in Browse mode
Adding and Modifying Records
- Viewing as form, list or table in Browse mode
- Entering and editing records in Browse mode
Navigating in FileMaker
- Moving between FileMaker’s views using different strategies
- Navigating between fields
- Navigating between records
Creating and Editing Layouts
- Working with FileMaker’s Inspector, menus and toolbars in Layout mode
- Formatting the initial FileMaker layout by changing themes
- Changing fonts and sizes
- Moving and resizing fields and labels
- Changing colours
- Adding titles
- Creating new layouts to display different types of data in different ways
- Adding and removing fields from a layout
- Renaming layouts
- Using FileMaker’s Find mode to find records using multiple criteria
- Creating multiple find requests in and/or scenarios
- Deleting found records
- Omitting records
- Automating repetitive finding by saving find settings
- Adding a logo to a layout
- Creating letter layouts with merge fields
- Creating label layouts with merge fields
- Automating FileMaker by creating pop-up menus, drop-down lists, radio buttons and check boxes in layouts
Creating and Formatting Reports in FileMaker
- Creating report layouts with different parts including Header, Body and Footer parts
- Adding grand summary parts to a report
- Creating grand totals in reports using summary fields
- Previewing reports
Creating a Relationship
- Setting up a simple relationship between tables based on a key field
- Overview of FileMaker’s table occurrence logic
- Creating a layout that extracts information from two or more tables
Register Now for a public course at our downtown Toronto location at 1 Yonge Street, Suite 1801 (Toronto Star Building), Toronto, Ontario, Canada.
If you need more information or would like to arrange custom training, contact us.
To request this page in an alternate format, contact our staff.
*Prices subject to change.
Copyright 2019 Avantix® Learning Inc.
You may like
You can achieve some interesting effects by cropping images to shapes in PowerPoint. However, if you want to crop an image to a circle, you’ll need to combine cropping options.
If you want to extract all images (or even just one or two) from a Microsoft PowerPoint deck to use in another presentation, there are a couple of ways to extract images …
You can use 3D references in Excel formulas to calculate across multiple worksheets that are structured in the same way. A 3D reference refers to the same cell or range of cells on multiple worksheets.
You may also like
There are a few ways to keep a Microsoft Word row or table together on one page. The method you use depends on several factors including the size of the table …
You can insert hyperlinks in Microsoft Word documents to make it easy for users to click a link to jump to another location. It’s also simple to edit and remove hyperlinks …
You can easily change the measurement system units in Microsoft Word for all of your documents. If you’d prefer to work in inches rather than centimeters (or vice versa), simply change the measurement system in Word’s Options.
FileMaker, FileMaker Go and the file folder logo are registered trademarks of FileMaker, Inc. in the U.S. and other countries. Mac and the Mac logo are trademarks of Apple Inc. registered in the U.S. and other countries. Microsoft and Windows are registered trademarks of the Microsoft Group of Companies. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.